The Platinum Izumo Urushi Fountain Pen - Byakudan is part of a series of urushi maki-e pens that draw inspiration from Izumo-Taisha, an ancient Shinto Shrine in the Shimene Prefecture of Japan. The barrel of this pen is carefully painted with many layers of urushi lacquer and gold powder that evoke Izumo-Taisha's Dai-Sengu ritual, which is dedicated to the gods who created Japan from a sea of clouds. Finished with the Yakumonuri technique, which involves several coats of sukiurushi, or transparent lacquer, the urushi lacquer will become more lucid and acquire a unique glow with use, revealing a deeper and richer texture within its glossy exterior.
- Style: Byakudan (Ocean of Clouds)
- 18k gold Platinum President nib with rhodium-plated accents
- Includes a converter and cartridge
- Comes in a cushioned wooden box with a cloth carrying case
- Replacement cartridges available
- Note that this pen is not recommended to be posted
- More Platinum Izumo
- Weight (capped): 38.0g
- Length (capped): 156.0mm
- Length (uncapped): 134.7mm
- Diameter - cap (without clip): 17.6mm
- Diameter - body: 15.9mm
- Diameter - grip: 10.2-14.2mm
About the Izumo Series:
Shunichi Nakata, the founder of Platinum Pen, launched the Izumo series in 2010 with the help of local craftsmen and the cooperation of officials from Izumo City in Shimane Prefecture. The name was chosen to acknowledge the birthplace of the founder, also known as Izumo-no-kuni and renowned for its production of high quality washi paper for fountain pens. Each Izumo pen is made from ebonite and coated in layers and layers of hand-applied urushi lacquer, representing the pinnacle of traditional Japanese craftsmanship.