Platinum Izumo Tamenuri Fountain Pen - Biwatame Tan uses tamenuri, a technique specific to urushi lacquer. With tamenuri, the craftsman applies multiple layers of a transparent lacquer over a solid colored urushi. This gives the pen incredible depth and the color of the urushi underneath rises to the surface with the passage of time.
In Japanese, tamenuri is 溜塗り. The tame- part in tamenuri means "lake", while -nuri means "coating or lacquering." If you think about a lake, there are areas of shallow water where you can see the bottom, and areas of deep water that are so dark, you can't see the bottom at all. This is the same type of imagery you can expect over time with the tamenuri lacquer technique.
- Style: Biwatame Tan
- Weight (capped): 38.0g
- Length (capped): 156.0mm
- Length (uncapped): 134.7mm
- Diameter - cap (without clip): 17.6mm
- Diameter - body: 15.9mm
- Diameter - grip: 10.2-14.2mm
- 18k gold Platinum President nib with rhodium-plated accents
- Gold detailing on pen
- Postable, but not recommended
- Includes Platinum Fountain Pen Converter - Gold
- Cushioned wooden box includes pen, cartridge, converter, and cloth carrying case
- Replacement cartridges available
- More Platinum Izumo Fountain Pens
About Izumo Series:
Shunichi Nakata, the founder of Platinum Pen, launched the Izumo series in 2010 with the help of local craftsmen and the cooperation of officials from Izumo City in Shimane Prefecture. The name was chosen to acknowledge the birthplace of the founder, also known as Izumo-no-kuni and renowned for its production of high quality washi paper for fountain pens. Each Izumo pen is made from ebonite and coated in layers and layers of hand-applied urushi lacquer, representing the pinnacle of traditional Japanese craftsmanship.